Gout Definition - Gout PreventionGout is a painful inflammation of joints caused by accumulation of uric acid crystals. Uric acid is a normal chemical formed by the breakdown of purines, which in turn are an important component of the human body. Many foods contain purines especially seafood and meat.
Is Important to Prevent AttacksIf left untreated repeated attacks can cause permanent joint damage and cause deformities of other parts by formation of 'tophi' which are lumps in the skin. Even if the acute attack is over medications must be continued to prevent the next attack. Never be reluctant to admit that you don't know. There is no one who knows everything. So if you don't know much about Gout Com, all that has to be done is to read up on it!
- Unless a patient has a family history or is taking medication that can cause gout such as some diuretics it may be hard to predict who will get gout.
- The treatment, however, is often very successful.
- Once an attack occurs future attacks can be prevented by use of allopurinol, colchicines and other medications.
- Patients who have had an organ transplant are often on medications that can cause gout.
- Variety is the spice of life.
- So we have added as much variety as possible to this matter on Purine Rich Foods to make it's reading relevant, and interesting!
Dietary changes such as decreasing the amount of purine -rich foods or alcohol may help. Discussing all medications with a healthcare provider is recommended. Never forget to mention any vitamins or natural remedies or herbal supplements that are being taken. Drink plenty of water, especially if a low carbohydrate, high-purine diet is consumed. New research has shown that vitamin C may decrease the level of uric but whether this will prevent gout is not clear.